Why is the AfterLoss Grief Recovery Program Important?
The AfterLoss HelpLetter Program is a comprehensive Grief Recovery course designed to assist the bereaved in dealing with their grief. It was written by Dr. Margie Kennedy-Reeves, PhD., who facilitated multiple support groups at the world renowned Eisenhower Medical Clinic in Rancho Mirage, California.
Dr. Kennedy-Reeves has taken what she taught in those support groups and put it into a HelpLetter Format; A support group by mail if you will. Each issue is sequentially written to address the various stages of the reader’s grief.
Dr. Kennedy-Reeves has stated that the first 90 days are critical in the healthy healing of the grieving. With the AfterLoss HelpLetter program they will have received the care they need in those critical first 3 months.
Benefits for the bereaved and why it’s important
- Allows the bereaved to maintain their dignity by being able to address their grief in their own environment
- Many people do not feel comfortable in expressing their grief in a public forum such as a support group
- Human nature is such that many people will not ask for the help they need, as they don’t want to admit they are grieving or having trouble dealing with their grief.
- The funeral home is equated with the death and pain of loss, many times families do not want to go back because of the memories associated with the building.
- Next of Kin can share the HelpLetter with other family members or neighbours thus multiplying the healing effects of the program without increasing costs.
- The bereaved can read as much or as little as they want of each HelpLetter and revisit each Issue at their own personal pace. With a support group or counsellor if they are not in the class they have no support. With AfterLoss it is always there.
- The AfterLoss HelpLetter Program is written as an actual COURSE on recovering from grief. It cannot be compared to handout pamphlets which deal with specific issues with no real starting and ending points. Grief is a journey not an event. The AfterLoss HelpLetter Program guides the bereaved on that journey.
HelpLetters and Products
The AfterLoss subscription program covers a wide array of subjects and provides specific levels of assistance, guidance and comfort for surviving loved ones. We also carry a number of supporting publications to complement the program.